BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 12, 2009

shot in the heart



Aaah, immunizations. Something we (I) have been putting off since the beginning of this crazy plan. What can I say, I have an irrational aversion to needles. If I see a needle, especially if it's coming towards me, I will cry. This isn't an emotional thing, and I know very well that the shot isn't really going to hurt. Tears just come out of my eyes. I can't help it. And yes, it's pretty embarrassing.

Not to mention costly. Yikes. Sarah and I called around to some Travel Health Clinics in NYC and in asking for budget-friendly options, an extremely helpful nurse pointed me in the direction of the Callen-Lorde Community Health Center. They are New York City's only primary health care center dedicated to meeting the health needs of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities and people living with HIV/AIDS-- regardless of any patient's ability to pay. They are welcoming to all, regardless of sexual orientation or insurance coverage. (Perfect for Sarah and myself, two of many of the insurance-less in America.) And they could give us most of our immunizations for less than your average travel clinic. Score.

They were such a pleasure to work with from beginning to end. From scheduling to rescheduling to popping me into recently cancelled appointments. In everyone's greeting and demeanor at the office. In the nurse's willingness to call several different people trying to give me a cost estimate before I committed to the immunizations. To promising me multiple times that if I couldn't pay, they wouldn't make me. They give health care no matter what the financial situation is. (Of course I wouldn't want to take advantage of that, but how amazing are these people?!) Everything moved along amazingly efficiently, and I could just tell that the people that work there are generally happy, and happy in what they are doing for the people of NY. The clinic is clean and bright, in Chelsea. A complete delight, through and through.

When I am rich, I am donating money to them. Period.

They immunized me against Hep A, Hep B, and Tetanus. I decided against Meningitis because it's pretty expensive, so here's hoping I don't get that (it is deadly).

Tomorrow: Flu at Walgreens.

Wednesday: Yellow Fever and Typhoid at Mt. Sinai.

Next week: starting our daily course of doxycycline for the prevention of malaria.

Thank you Callen-Lorde. Thank you modern medicine.

And not one tear this time.

Cheers, Laura

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Laurita! You got shots all by yourself! Love you. P.S. 4 days. Holy. Crap.

Rebecca said...

Good for you! Also, I wish you hadn't told me that you didn't immunize again meningitis. Now I'm going to worry for 6 months. Don't get sick! But you won't. I'm having positive thoughts for you. You're going to have a GREAT time and it's going to be AMAZING.